In 1990, Clement began helping his parents in their family florist shop, Thornlie Florist, located in Thornlie Square Shopping Centre, Thornlie, Western Australia. Clement started off making some unusual, large arrangements in silks for the shop and also some decorations using natural materials. They sold really well, as at that time they were quite different to anything else available. He gradually became more interested in floristry and since 2003, Clement has been entering into the Interflora competitions. He took this task seriously and went on to study floristry at South Metropolitan TAFE, Murdoch Campus (formerly Challenger TAFE) and completed Certificate 4 in Floristry in 2004. Immediately after his graduation he took a position as lecturer with the same organisation.
With 28 years of floral experience, Clement’s ideas come from his own feelings and imagination. He studied the work of overseas designers and over the years he has developed his own style leading to his work being defined by his peers as distinctive, creative and unique.
Clement has had many opportunities to demonstrate and conduct workshops in both Australia and overseas. He likes to present new techniques and styles to audiences and is willing to pass on his knowledge and experience to the next generation of florists as a leading designer and TAFE lecturer.
- Winner, Interflora Australia Cup, 2007
- Runner-Up, Interflora Australia Cup, 2005, 06, 08
- Runner-Up, Interflora Florist of Distinction, Australia, 2004
- Winner, Interflora Florist of Distinction, WA, 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08
- Runner-Up, Interflora Florist of the Year, WA, 2009
- Winner, Interflora Florist of the Year, WA, 2010
- Winner, Interflora Senior Florist of the Year, WA, 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07
- Challenger TAFE Perpetual Cup, 2008
- Third Place, Interflora World Cup Selection Trial, 2009
- Assessor for the Interflora Construction Assessment
Since his appointment as an Interflora National Judge, Clement has elected to retire from competing for the time being and concentrate on training the next generation of florists.
For more information about Clement’s work, we invite you to visit his Facebook page, Clement Lee Floral Designs